Sunday, February 3, 2008

Progress Sections and Elevations

In this section, I wanted to start showing the water feature and the outdoor space created around it. I need to get a scale figure in there to help show the heighth. I promise, Tim, you won't hit your head on the trusses, there is more than enough clearance through the hallway!

The South Elevation was a major focus for me this past week. I have begun to break it up into five basic categories. The scrim wall contains open space, mesh material, signage locations, transparent loggias and photovoltaics. Somehow I was still planning on working in shading devices but I think the geometry of the building actually does most of it for me.
The next focus has been how the water will work in 3D. I still need some more development on this but the basic shape of the feature is in the images. I wanted to get some feedback on it before I get into the type of detail that it will take. I am looking at the material toward the freeway be more concrete like while the interior will be smaller scale, warmer, brick?






For the next week, I am planning to continue to develop my sections. I have three started through the trusses and am trying to decide where to take a longitudinal one, do I do it on the diagonal or perpendicular to the others? I have been relying on the model to be my elevations but it doesn't read as clear as I would like. I am planning on having at least a north and south elevation in cad for this week.











6 comments:

Tim Riffle said...

Annie,
I appreciate that I won't smack my head on the trusses. I like the way the building is coming together. My only comment is geared towards the scrim wall. It seems like there is too much going on, which to me somewhat takes away from the building itself. Is the scrim wall the focus, or is the building the focus?

smunger said...

I absolutely agree with Tim.

Tone it down girl, you have a great thing going on with the large open trussed spaces, but there seems to be huge disconnect between what is important in the building, and what is a decorative element.

If you want to keep the scrim wall, develop a logic to what it is doing and how it behaves.

Without establishing rules, it really isn't very much fun to violate them.

I had a hotel in Rome which was covered with a billboard and my room had a "loggia" type space behind it. We could see out through the perforations of the billboard, but people from the exterior could not see in. The thing that was nice about that space was the subtle way in which the perforations acted.

So again, find a logic, and tone it down.


the other side is O.K. but may be too much of the same thing. the big projections of the truss studios, may work better against a neutral and contrasting background (material wise) then they do against the industrial corrugation of the metal panels (Northwest corner).

Overall - Right form! no complaints there, but wrong materiality.

Eric Nelson, AIA said...

The scrim wall looks great--very interesting. I can't agree that its too busy, but I'll comment in depth tomorrow.

Carlos said...

I really like your "Section A", it is very expressive and it shows plenty of program information. I can't agree with Tim and Steve either, I think your south scrim wall is starting to take life. It is very sculptural and funtional at the same time; and it holds the street edge successfully. Great job on those renderings.

Eric Nelson, AIA said...

In general I'm happy with your scheme and we're in refinement mode.

The area that needs the most work is the Ground flr. Let's work on the flow and improving the open nature of the space. Here are my suggestions:

1. The Baths and Kitchenette that are cranked on the diagonal are going the right direction. I would suggest that your Conference rm and the Exhibition space essentially do the same. Pull the Conference away from the other program and rotate it 90deg. to express its form, perhaps it should also pop out from under the upper spaces a bit to balance with the Exhibition.
2. Ditch the little ship's ladder stair to the lower floor and attach an info/security desk to the Kit./Bath kiosk.
3. Rework the stair and elevator to provide comfortable access and security. Location is probably correct, but the stair is really crowding the elevator. Be careful not to get it too close to the vestibule.
4. Re-think the movable partitions. Doors in these things are never very nice. Perhaps there's a bit of a constriction between the Exhibit and Lobby and you have a roll-down security cage... If you really want to use movable partitions remember to show us a 24-30in. pocket to store the panels.
5. Your site plan needs to show the whole story of your water feature. Show the studios dashed above.
6. I have to agree with Werner that you should tone down your Boylston St. second skin. Pull the wall back away from Mass Ave so it only covers the building mass. I would also suggest the 2nd flr. middle bay (Student Lounge) project out to cover the truss extension similar to the Pike side. This will also give you a generous covered area for the entry.
7. EGRESS STIARS MUST EXIT DIRECTLY TO THE EXTERIOR AND NOT THRU ANOTHER SPACE!
8. Why not make a swinging wall panel in the other studios. Let's also find a reasonable function for the 2nd flr. SE corner.

Matt Anderle said...

Annie,

I like how your project has progressed. It's very interesting to see the development after just a brief review back in Boston. I like the way your studio spaces have tension with the circulation of the Turnpike and railway! They make a very strong statement in one direction while supported by the ever present gesture to Boylston. I think one of the most exciting things on this facade (seeing through the busy elevation) is the pattern the large trusses make across the elevation from different angles. Nice work, can't wait to see the final.